Friday, July 24, 2009

Not as Icky as it Sounds

This recipe isn’t so much creative as it was originally conceived out of desperation.

During my college years, my two roommates and I survived mostly on two things: pizza and nachos. Which we chose on any given day depended mainly on how much cash we could scrape together. On good nights, we ordered pizza. On those days were we mostly counted up our change, off to 7-Eleven for nachos.

I think it was me who came up with the idea to combine our two favorite foods by going to the grocery store, grabbing a bag of tortilla chips, pizza sauce and the cheapest cheese I could find (you know, those generic, waxy, individually wrapped slices known as ‘cheese food’.) All-in-all, aside from beverages, I got it all for less than five bucks.

After a minute in the microwave, BOOM! Pizza Nachos! A huge plate of munchies with no nutritional value whatsoever. And, as we accidently discovered, tortilla chips and pizza sauce go together surprisingly well, though the ‘cheese food’ tasted mostly like the plastic it was wrapped in.

I still make them from time to time, though now I’m able to afford real cheese (or Velveeta, which actually melts better).

Anyway, for a quick snack in two minutes:
1 bag of plain corn tortilla chips
1 jar of Ragu pizza sauce
2 cups grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese

On a microwave-safe plate, layer chips, sauce and cheese into a huge pile, stick it in the microwave for 60-90 seconds (depending on the cheese you pick). That’s it. You’re done. And the best part is most people around you will think you’re crazy, so you don’t have to share.

D.M. Anderson
dmanderson.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment